Informal is a core contributor to Cosmos, where we develop interoperable blockchain systems by heavily relying on formal verification tools and techniques (formal specification in TLA+, symbolic model checker Apalache, Model Based Testing Framework, etc).
The Cosmos technology stack, including Tendermint Core, the Cosmos-SDK, IBC, and the Cosmos Proof of Stake modules, is an industry leading Go toolkit for building, deploying, and running blockchains. This technology is used today to secure many billions of dollars in cryptocurrency market capitalization.
One such blockchain is known as the Cosmos Hub, with its native ATOM token. Launched in 2019, the Cosmos Hub was one of the first production Proof-of-Stake blockchains, and today has one of the largest and most decentralized validator sets in the blockchain ecosystem. It is central to the Cosmos community as the blockchain focused primarily on providing a high security environment for connecting into the emerging Internet of Blockchains - the interchain.
The Cosmos Hub is where development of IBC, the Interblockchain Communication protocol at the heart of the Cosmos vision, is being pioneered. The Cosmos Hub has an agressive roadmap to improve the usability and security of IBC over the coming years. Its goal is to provide a high security base-layer environment to service the needs of the many dozens (and eventually hundreds and thousands) of IBC enabled blockchains by providing interoperability services - making it easy to launch new chains, to connect with many chains from a single integration point, to simplify access to diverse interchain services like liquidity and other DeFi applications, and more. For more on the vision of the Cosmos Hub, see the blog post, The Cosmos Hub is a Port City.
What your responsibilities will be:
- Design new cryptoeconomic protocols to support interoperability in the emerging Internet of Blockchains
- Develop key components of the Cosmos Hub, including the Proof of Stake System, IBC, Shared Security, and more.
- Improve the user experience, correctness, code-quality, and performance of the software.
- Contribute clean, well tested, and well documented code.
- Review issues and pull requests and provide valuable feedback to contributors.
- Mentor other engineers and support the growth and health of the team.
- Guard the quality of the software from technical debt, missing tests or documentation, and feature creep.
- Nurture a safe and enjoyable open source experience for contributors.
What we look for in a Go Engineer for Cosmos Hub:
- At least 3 years developing, releasing, and maintaining production software.
- Significant experience writing Go or the ability and desire to become proficient in new languages.
- A track record of developing complex state machines.
- Experience with cryptocurrencies, Proof-of-Stake, and blockchain interoperability is highly beneficial
- Commitment to product quality, user experience, and well-structured code.
- Experience with open source projects and communities.
- The ability to take ownership and see initiatives through.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience working with distributed teams, and enjoys working with and mentoring others.
Informal is a remote-first company with offices in Toronto, Lausanne, Vienna and Berlin. We are structured like a worker’s cooperative, where important corporate actions are subject to one-person-one-vote democratic control by the member-employees. We provide 5-weeks of paid vacation, lifestyle benefits, and annual retreats with the whole team. We envision a sustainable future of cooperatively owned and governed, open-source, distributed organizations running on reliable distributed systems and are excited to grow the team with amazing individuals who believe in making this future a reality.
Please apply via this this Google form where you’ll be prompted to upload a cover letter, CV, and other information that will help the review process go smoothly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We are committed to equal employment opportunities and encourage applications from people of all race, religion, colour, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.