Informal is a core contributor to Cosmos, where we develop interoperable blockchain systems by heavily relying on formal verification tools and techniques (formal specification in TLA+, symbolic model checker Apalache, Model Based Testing Framework, etc).
The Cosmos technology stack is an industry leading toolkit written in Go. It includes Tendermint Core, the Cosmos-SDK, IBC, and the Cosmos Proof of Stake modules, among others, and it is used for building, deploying, and running community owned decentralized networks. This technology is used today to secure many billions of dollars in cryptocurrency market capitalization.
Many of these components were designed in 2016, when the Cosmos vision of an “Internet of Sovereign, Interoperable Blockchains” was but a dream. Today, it is rapidly becoming a reality, and with it, a new set of requirements and tremendous learnings about the technology stack is necessary for the next 5 years. We are building this new stack in Rust, including many of the key components of the Cosmos ecosystem, but designed more natively for a multi-chain reality. This includes Hermes, the leading IBC relayer for ensuring communication across blockchains, as well as a new multi-chain node architecture based on Tendermint.
As we continue on our effort of building & operating production-grade decentralized software, we are looking to expand the IBC team with a project leadership role that aims to tackle coordination problems both within a team and across engineering teams. This is where your work will have the most impact. As an IBC project lead, you will occupy a key operational role.
- Shepherd the growth of a talented team of software engineers.
- Work with the engineering team to improve automation across our development processes.
- Participate alongside product teams to the improvement of APIs for IBC queries and transactions.
- Work with the engineering teams to facilitate high-coverage testing of Cosmos stack in Rust.
- Team up with the validator unit to improve the reliability of our production operations.
What we look for in a successful Project Lead:
- Experience with building and maintaining open source software.
- Experience with CI/CD, Docker, and automated builds.
- Familiarity with scripting languages (bash and Python), as well as with higher level programming languages, namely, Go and Rust.
- Experience in leadership positions.
- Proven competence of working in a very complex domain under volatile constraints.
What your primary responsibilities will be:
- Help deliver the Hermes IBC relayer software on time, to specification.
- Help establish a mature software engineering culture both within the team and across the broader organization.
- Encourage a measurement- and metrics-based development and operation of our software.
- Participate in R & D processes across the whole product lifecycle: CI/CD, integration & testing with blockchain binaries, architectural roadmap, debugging, user journey mapping, documentation and educational material.
- Align expectations of individual contributors with the needs of the user and the product main priorities.
- Work with the product owner to ensure alignment over long- and short-term priorities.
- Work closely with the technical lead to ensure alignment on quality standards and processes.
- Translate product needs into technical requirements, provide estimates, and ensure prioritization that is in line with quarterly goals.
- Improve the developer experience and code hygiene for the Hermes IBC relayer software.
- Contribute clean, well tested, and well documented code.
- Review issues and pull requests and provide valuable feedback to contributors.
- Mentor engineers and other individual contributors and support the growth and health of the team.
- Guard the quality of the software from technical debt, missing tests or documentation, and feature creep.
- Nurture a sustainable and enjoyable open-source experience for external contributors.
- Help establish and achieve relayer operational SLOs.
- Contribute to the design of the long-term architecture of the relayer software.
Informal is a remote-first company with offices in Toronto, Lausanne, Vienna and Berlin. We are structured like a worker’s cooperative, where important corporate actions are subject to one-person-one-vote democratic control by the member-employees. We envision a sustainable future of cooperatively owned and governed, open-source, distributed organizations running on reliable distributed systems and are excited to grow the team with amazing individuals who believe in making this future a reality. Some of our benefits include:
- A unique, caring and friendly culture (learn more about how we work here)
- Be part of an exciting new type of organization built on Cooperative principles (learn more here)
- 25 working days of paid vacation annually, plus unlimited Sick leave and 3 Spiritual days
- Company-wide closure from December 25th to January 1, annually
- Annual Lifestyle benefits (reimbursements for gym memberships, fitness equipment, yoga classes, etc.)
- Annual travel budget for educational and career-advancement opportunities
- A remote-first, flexible work environment with global Hub offices to visit
- A home-office stipend to set you up for success
- Annual company retreats
- Paid parental leave
- ...and many more!
Please apply via this link where you’ll be prompted to upload a cover letter, CV, and other information that will help the review process go smoothly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We are committed to equal employment opportunities and encourage applications from people of all race, religion, colour, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.