What your primary responsibilities will be:
- Formally specify, check, find bugs, and prove properties of critical blockchain infrastructure.
- Research and develop strategies and algorithms to verify and test real software.
- Develop verification and testing tools and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with researchers on techniques for specifying and verifying blockchain protocols.
- Collaborate with engineers on techniques for verifying and testing their software.
- Disseminate knowledge on methods and tools for software verification and testing within the blockchain ecosystem.
- Mentor other engineers and support the growth and health of the team.
- Nurture a safe and enjoyable open source experience for contributors.
What we look for in a successful Research Engineer:
- Enthusiasm for advancing and implementing verification and testing techniques, and making them accessible to software developers.
- Graduate work and/or academic quality publications in a relevant field, eg. distributed systems, algorithmic game theory, formal verification, mathematical logic, etc.
- A deep understanding of computer science and formal logic fundamentals (software design, first-order logic, Satisfiability Modulo Theories, etc.).
- Experience with verification and testing tools ( e.g., TLA+, Dafny, Ivy, CBMC, Spin, Coq, Isabelle, SAT/SMT solvers, Jepsen, QuickCheck, etc.).
- A track record of translating academic papers into performant software.
- Experience in developing, releasing, and maintaining production software.
- The ability to take ownership and see initiatives through.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience working with distributed teams.
Experience with the Rust programming language and ecosystem is a plus.
Informal is a remote-first company with offices in Toronto, Lausanne, Vienna and Berlin. We are structured like a worker’s cooperative, where important corporate actions are subject to one-person-one-vote democratic control by the member-employees. We envision a sustainable future of cooperatively owned and governed, open-source, distributed organizations running on reliable distributed systems and are excited to grow the team with amazing individuals who believe in making this future a reality. Some of our benefits include:
- A unique, caring and friendly culture (learn more about how we work here)
- Be part of an exciting new type of organization built on Cooperative principles (learn more here)
- 25 working days of paid vacation annually, plus unlimited Sick leave and 3 Spiritual days
- Company-wide closure from December 25th to January 1, annually
- Annual Lifestyle benefits (reimbursements for gym memberships, fitness equipment, yoga classes, etc.)
- Annual travel budget for educational and career-advancement opportunities
- A remote-first, flexible work environment with global Hub offices to visit
- A home-office stipend to set you up for success
- Annual company retreats
- Paid parental leave
- ...and many more!
Please apply via this link where you’ll be prompted to upload a cover letter, CV, and other information that will help the review process go smoothly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We are committed to equal employment opportunities and encourage applications from people of all race, religion, colour, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.