What your primary responsibilities will be:
- Design, formally specify and verify protocols used by critical blockchain infrastructure.
- Research and develop strategies to formally verify protocols and systems.
- Transform protocol specifications in English into formal ones.
- Collaborate with engineers to ensure their software designs adhere to the specifications.
- Collaborate with research engineers on techniques for verifying and testing complex systems.
- Disseminate knowledge on protocols and correctness assurance within the blockchain ecosystem.
- Mentor other engineers, support the growth and health of the team.
- Nurture a safe and enjoyable open source experience for contributors.
What we look for in a successful Researcher:
- Enthusiasm for designing correct-by-construction protocols, disseminating knowledge, and advancing correctness awareness within the ecosystem.
- Graduate work and/or academic quality publications in a relevant field, eg. distributed systems, algorithmic game theory, formal verification, mathematical logic, etc.
- A deep understanding of computer science and formal logic fundamentals (first-order logic, temporal logic, Satisfiability Modulo Theories, etc.).
- Experience with formal verification approaches (theorem proving, model checking, static analysis, runtime verification, etc.).
- Significant experience with technical writing in English (e.g. research papers, specifications, design documents, documentation, etc.).
- The ability to take ownership and see initiatives through.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience working with distributed teams and mentoring others.
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining production software is plus.
Informal is a remote-first company with offices in Toronto, Lausanne, Vienna and Berlin. We are structured like a worker’s cooperative, where important corporate actions are subject to one-person-one-vote democratic control by the member-employees. We provide 5-weeks of paid vacation, lifestyle benefits, and annual retreats with the whole team. We envision a sustainable future of cooperatively owned and governed, open-source, distributed organizations running on reliable distributed systems and are excited to grow the team with amazing individuals who believe in making this future a reality.
Please apply via this this Google form where you’ll be prompted to upload a cover letter, CV, and other information that will help the review process go smoothly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We are committed to equal employment opportunities and encourage applications from people of all race, religion, colour, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.